Tuesday 26 July 2011

Thing 16 & 17 Youtube and Vimeo

I’ve used Youtube a lot over the years, primarily for looking up old music videos, but also I find it great for crochet and cooking etc. I have a Youtube account and  I’ve uploaded private videos for family viewing.  The privacy settings are quite good, you can set it up so that noone can see a clip unless you invite them to see it and send them a link.  In that regard it’s REALLY useful.  For my brothers 30th last year, I made a mini film where I edited together birthday greetings from several family members into one message, it took a while but he was chuffed.

In the library over the last semester I’ve been creating little online tutorials for students and uploading them to youtube before embedding them into  the library website. The product I use to capture mouse  movements on the screen is jing.  I then open the unedited file in a package called Camtasia Suite, where I can edit out pauses, and add in captions and there is even a facility for a voiceover( which does not seem so daunting an experience now that I’’ve made my first Podcast).

Here's a tutorial on how to remew library books.

You can see all the current tutorials here: 

I downloaded Celtx and had a play around with it.  It seems like quite an elaborate programme, I can see its uses if you are delegating out tasks as everyone could input their own ‘section’.  At first I thought it looked like it would create more work, but actually when I had a play around with it, seems like a neat way of storing the data in a very organized way and again, for a project with several inputters, it could be really useful.

Now I just need to think of something to do for our Cregan Library video.  I'm thinking I go to the wiki area to discuss that?

1 comment:

  1. Great tutorials, Newkid. The possibilities are endless. Yep I think the wiki is the place for video suggestions. We should get a hearty debate going!

    ReplyDelete