Wednesday 20 April 2011

Wicki-wicki Wild Wild West


Random irrlevant fact:  Ever since I first heard the phrase Wiki, the chorus of that horrendous Will Smith song from the equally horrendous film Wild Wild West (actually I've never seen it, but I don't think I need to!)comes into my head.  It's a dreadful association, and I hope most people don't even know what I'm referring to.  About 6 seconds in if you're curious!!

Back to this weeks task, wikis.  I never knew where the phrase originated from so that was interesting.
I'd never edited or contributed to a wiki before, though I've read them often, especially Wikepedia, despite the fact that it's a questionable source of information.

I setup my wiki account, and posted my thoughts on the 23thingswiki.  SO easy to use, though I fear I could very easily get carried away with adding extra links, it's THAT easy to use.

In a library context I think it would be a fantastic resource.  Just for staff, for instance with an upcoming staff meeting, if something occured to you during the month, you could post it as and when things pop into your head.  Or if you had an idea for an exhibition or any kind of improvement or a suggestion, maybe you could have a link on it, where you can post ideas as you wish.

The one thing that strikes me is the ease at which you can edit other people's posts.  It would be annoying if somebody else deleted something you contributed to before you felt it had been dealt with or discussed.  The fact that there is a feature showing who edited the link most recently would probably eliminate any problems in this regard!

No comments:

Post a Comment