Wednesday 4 May 2011

LibraryThing

I signed upto LibraryThing sometime ago, but I've never really used it.  That's not to say I don't like it, I do.  It's just that it's very similar to another product on facebook called We Read(although of course We Read isn't catalogued).  I prefer We Read, because I've 'friends' using it and it cross-references books I've read with what they've read and recommends their current reads to me.  Because I've read similar themed books to them, I get relevant recommendations.  On LibraryThing however I get recommendations similar to the ones I get on amazon, ie nothing I'm interested in.
The virtual shelf is cute and alot less dusty that my 'real' book cases.  It is useful for tracking the books you read over a year, but I actually keep physical written lists of these myself - can't believe I'm admitting to that, old school and incredibly sad.
It's amazing with all the technology available to us, that the pen and paper is sometimes very reassuring, or maybe that's just me?
Library Thing for libraries looks interesting I wonder how much would be involved in setting it up? How cool would it be to have our own library app?

No comments:

Post a Comment