Thursday 26 May 2011

No Comment!

Having major issues with Blogger the last few days.  I can post on my own blog but when I try to comment on anybody else's it forces me to re-login, enter the disabled text, enter my password, kick me out, round and round we go!! I must by now be filling half a cyber graveyard with all my missing posts. 

Pitseleh, love your Guardian photo sequence, I was on the verge of blubbing too! Horrible to think that that kind of life could cease to exist.  There's something actually beautiful about their self-reliance and contentment.  I'm not sure which number it was but I was endeared to the one where one brother said the worst day of his life was staying in a hotel 3 hours away!

With regard to Pitseleh's house burning down post, checkout the burning house project it's cute!  I have very little personally that's irreplaceable.  Photo albums, and childhood memory box would need to be rescued. The main thing I would want to keep is  a box of diaries and letters I wrote during my teens and twenties.  Even reading them now, I cringe and smile at my younger self.  So clueless, and so naive. I think when I'm older I will cherish these dearly.

Totally against kids on Facebook, I fear having under 13's on  facebook will transform it into a grooming portal for paedophiles.  For every parent who monitors their kids internet use, there will be thousands that don't.  It is so easy to assume a fake identity and groom a child, I really don't see any benefits to this at all. 

I fear something more sinister with Zuckerberg than passive advertising.  Like Twitpic, Facebook owns any photos you upload, so he 'owns' billions of photos of people's lives.   Think about the stars of the future.  Their parents are busy posting every highlight of their little lives on Facebook:  baby scans, first photo, first tooth, first step, first birthday, first day of school, communion, confirmation, graduation............All there in technicolour and OWNED by Zuckerberg.  By the time the next generation go to sign their first record deal or begin to learn the lines for their first movie, Zuckerberg will have a lifetimes worth of photos ready to sell to the biggest bidder.  I find this whole concept terrifying.

2 comments:

  1. Oh noo thats terrible - I love your comments! Hope this sorts itself out. Commenting and receiving comments has been one of the best things about blogging in my opinion! I've been having problems with tagging since the great Blogger Black-out. World domination of Zuckerberg? Yikes. Also burning-house-blogs must be in the current collective consciousness, eh:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. blogger is being awkward for me too newkid, not for comments but if i want to do anything beyond a normal post or comment it's not being very friendly...in fact i'd go so far as to say it's positively hostile...

    ReplyDelete