Thursday 5 May 2011

This is definitely not a film recommendation

I watched The Killer Inside Me last night.  A conversation in the tea room recently sparked my curiosity, so I gave it a go.  There are only a handful of films that have left me feeling so perturbed (Once were warriors, Nil by Mouth, Lilya 4 Ever).  I admit this is not the most rational review, because in truth I have no stomach for violence.  Suffice to say my husband walked out of the room twice, and he's no wuss!!  It's a pity because there's a good movie in there somewhere, despite the uneven pace and the undeveloped female characters.   Affleck puts in a stellar performance, understated menace in a cool exterior, quite mesmerising actually.  However my residing memory is of brutal violence which is weird considering it's not in that many scenes.  It's the relentless and unnecessarily graphic nature of its' depiction that made it extremely disturbing to watch.  The director is obviously making some sort of statement here; I'm just not sure what it is?  That the calmest of exteriors contain the most brutal beast?   Whatever it is I don't think it works, it feels gratuitous, and I suspect it's actually done for shock value, which is rather sad.  Definitely not one for the faint hearted.

3 comments:

  1. Ah another capitulation! I'm in the faint-hearted category so maybe I wont watch it after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god, sounds a bit overwhelming. Love Casey Affleck though - is he really related to Ben??
    He is super in The assassination of Jesse James..
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443680/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i might have to watch this now newkid. i have some kind of competitive/childish thing that if i hear a film is really gorey or disturbing i want to see it...

    ReplyDelete